A MEMORIAL SERVICE WAS HELD ON SAT. MARCH 28TH, 2009 AT BATTELL CHAPEL, Yale University, at 3:00pm. All were cordially invited. Over 800 in attendance! DVD available through the Yale Glee Club office.

Service details: Tom Murray, University Organist, started the prelude 20 minutes before the 3 p.m. service began. There were performances by The Yale Glee Club, The Yale Alumni Chorus, The Whiffenpoofs of 2009, The SLOT's, and The University Glee Club of New Haven. A magnificent, and humbling, tribute.

Contributions in memory of Fenno may be sent to the
North Congregational Church P.O. Box 307 New Hartford CT 06057.

Condolences may be sent directly to the family (Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, Terry) at pogilvy@comcast.net

Search This Blog

F F Heath Jr. 12-30-1926 to 12-05-2008



About the blog:
Please feel free to share your memories with us about Fenno/Dad. Send your stories/memories to pogilvy@comcast.net and we will gladly post your letter, unless you indicate otherwise.

Thank you. Your letters bring us joy.

Sincerely,

~Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, and Terry Heath


Friday, December 5, 2008

Greatest gift, the gift of song

Dear Fenno,
 
When I was at Yale, you gave me the greatest gift, the gift of song. I hadn't realized then that it would be such an important part of my life. I had arrived at Yale in 1971 and, although I had sung in my highschool choir, I didn't pursue singing at Yale until I was a junior. I'm not sure why I ventured down to Hendrie Hall to audition for the Yale Glee Club in the fall of my junior year, but I did. I remember that you seemed sort of surprised. I guess by junior year most people were either singing or not. You asked me why I was there, and I said I realized that I really wanted to sing. I don't even think the audition went that well because I remember you said my sightreading wasn't the best, but I had a good ear. I'm sure there were plenty of other "younger" kids that you could have taken (there was no Freshman Glee Club at that time, so there were probably many freshmen auditioning), but you took me. Perhaps it was because I said I really wanted to sing. And for that I am forever grateful. I made my best friends in the Glee Club (do you remember what a duo Leslie Fitzpatrick and I were?!) and I haven't stopped singing since.
 
For most of my adult life, I have lived in Norfolk, Conn., where music at Yale was really born. I have walked on the paths that the Battells and Stoeckels walked on along the Village Green and sung in the church where they sang, as I know you have too. When Robbins Battell introduced the singing of English glees to northwest Connecticut and supported Gustave Stoeckel at Yale, he began a proud tradition which continues today. I am so grateful to have been a part of this tradition. Singing has brought so much meaning and beauty into my life. I don't think I can ever thank you enough.
 
With love,
 
Ann
 
Ann Havemeyer
Yale College, Class of 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment