A MEMORIAL SERVICE WAS HELD ON SAT. MARCH 28TH, 2009 AT BATTELL CHAPEL, Yale University, at 3:00pm. All were cordially invited. Over 800 in attendance! DVD available through the Yale Glee Club office.

Service details: Tom Murray, University Organist, started the prelude 20 minutes before the 3 p.m. service began. There were performances by The Yale Glee Club, The Yale Alumni Chorus, The Whiffenpoofs of 2009, The SLOT's, and The University Glee Club of New Haven. A magnificent, and humbling, tribute.

Contributions in memory of Fenno may be sent to the
North Congregational Church P.O. Box 307 New Hartford CT 06057.

Condolences may be sent directly to the family (Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, Terry) at pogilvy@comcast.net

Search This Blog

F F Heath Jr. 12-30-1926 to 12-05-2008



About the blog:
Please feel free to share your memories with us about Fenno/Dad. Send your stories/memories to pogilvy@comcast.net and we will gladly post your letter, unless you indicate otherwise.

Thank you. Your letters bring us joy.

Sincerely,

~Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, and Terry Heath


Sunday, December 7, 2008

"We're Still Singing....."

Thank you so much to Daniel Winik for posting the link to "Fern Hill"! (It's at http://download.yousendit.com/Q01IeEVkR0Y3bUIzZUE9PQ for those of you who might not have found it yet.) I just listened to the piece for the first time in I don't know how many years (I have a bootleg cassette tape of it somewhere -- it's from 1986, I think), and it brought back so many memories. I suddenly remembered a rehearsal we did in Woolsey Hall once -- some of you may remember this, too. Dave Blackwell began his solo, and Fenno wandered to the back of the hall, perhaps just to hear how it sounded, but certainly because Dave didn't need any conducting. Somehow, though, Fenno got distracted (did he end up talking to someone?), and suddenly the solo was ending and he was much farther from the stage than he really needed to be to conduct our entrance. Well, Fenno came galloping down the aisle, reaching the stage just in the nick of time -- but by then we had all burst out laughing (all except Dave...I remember he wasn't too pleased with the rest of us for that), and we had to rehearse the cue all over again.

Ah, those were definitely the days.

In connection with what Matt Ringel just said, and what a number of others have already said -- I was listening to this recording of "Fern Hill" on my computer, with its incredibly limited sound system (and no external speakers), and as it came to the end, I turned the volume up as high as it could go, and I could still barely hear the voices. And as the ending continued, I turned to my boyfriend and said, "We're still singing, you know." (I did say "we," even though I know that wasn't my generation singing on that particular recording!) And after another moment I said, "We're still singing." And then again a moment later. And then at long last I turned to him and said -- and he understood, because I have shared so much of this blog with him -- "How do they do it?"

-- Karen Sherman '88, Back Row Alto, who could never shut up back then and can't seem to shut up now!

No comments:

Post a Comment