A MEMORIAL SERVICE WAS HELD ON SAT. MARCH 28TH, 2009 AT BATTELL CHAPEL, Yale University, at 3:00pm. All were cordially invited. Over 800 in attendance! DVD available through the Yale Glee Club office.

Service details: Tom Murray, University Organist, started the prelude 20 minutes before the 3 p.m. service began. There were performances by The Yale Glee Club, The Yale Alumni Chorus, The Whiffenpoofs of 2009, The SLOT's, and The University Glee Club of New Haven. A magnificent, and humbling, tribute.

Contributions in memory of Fenno may be sent to the
North Congregational Church P.O. Box 307 New Hartford CT 06057.

Condolences may be sent directly to the family (Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, Terry) at pogilvy@comcast.net

Search This Blog

F F Heath Jr. 12-30-1926 to 12-05-2008



About the blog:
Please feel free to share your memories with us about Fenno/Dad. Send your stories/memories to pogilvy@comcast.net and we will gladly post your letter, unless you indicate otherwise.

Thank you. Your letters bring us joy.

Sincerely,

~Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, and Terry Heath


Saturday, December 6, 2008

From Don Edwards

Dear Members of the Heath family and Fenno’s extended family:

Like most American boys, I grew up in a culture that taught me it wasn’t cool to sing. Of course, that culture had not encountered the force of nature that was Fenno Heath. I thought I’d gone to heaven when I arrived at Yale in 1960 and discovered that the glee club director was as big a deal on campus as the football coach! I’ve never felt as important in my life as the night I first donned white tie and tails for a YGC concert. But Fenno made you feel important every time you sang.

My favorite memory is of the first Glee Club Anniversary concert. Several hundred alumni choristers assembled on the Woolsey stage for the opening rehearsal. Fenno mounted the podium and started the first song. Immediately, he cut us off and made us start over. This was a reunion, but Fenno – the consummate musician - wasn’t going to lower his expectations. We all stood straighter and felt the pride come back. I hope the choirs of angels are getting their act together.

Like others who have written, I still hear Fenno’s compositions and arrangements in my head. And as I read the wonderful messages on the blog, I hear part after part building to another triumphant “Fenno ending.”

Don Edwards ‘64

President emeritus

The American Boychoir School

No comments:

Post a Comment