A MEMORIAL SERVICE WAS HELD ON SAT. MARCH 28TH, 2009 AT BATTELL CHAPEL, Yale University, at 3:00pm. All were cordially invited. Over 800 in attendance! DVD available through the Yale Glee Club office.

Service details: Tom Murray, University Organist, started the prelude 20 minutes before the 3 p.m. service began. There were performances by The Yale Glee Club, The Yale Alumni Chorus, The Whiffenpoofs of 2009, The SLOT's, and The University Glee Club of New Haven. A magnificent, and humbling, tribute.

Contributions in memory of Fenno may be sent to the
North Congregational Church P.O. Box 307 New Hartford CT 06057.

Condolences may be sent directly to the family (Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, Terry) at pogilvy@comcast.net

Search This Blog

F F Heath Jr. 12-30-1926 to 12-05-2008



About the blog:
Please feel free to share your memories with us about Fenno/Dad. Send your stories/memories to pogilvy@comcast.net and we will gladly post your letter, unless you indicate otherwise.

Thank you. Your letters bring us joy.

Sincerely,

~Carol, Sarah, Lucy, Peggy, and Terry Heath


Saturday, December 6, 2008

"Time held me, green and dying, though I sang in my chains like the sea"

I was lucky enough to be one of several graduate students who participated in the Glee Club during my law school years at Yale. I have participated in many musical activities before and since, but my musical experiences with Fenno at Yale were the most meaningful of my life, and I have carried them with me for the 26 years since I graduated. The musical experience at Yale, embodied by Fenno, involves a unique mix of technical excellence, intellectual thought and the sheer joy of making music.

I would echo the comments of Sarah Hiestand - Fenno's setting of Fern Hill is my favorite piece of all time. I was fortunate to sing a men's choral arrangement of the piece in 1980 and the SATB arrangement in the 1980-81 YGC repertoire. It still plays in my head, and I can still hear Fenno describing his analysis of the last line, "Time held me, green and dying, though I sang in my chains like the sea". His setting of that line was perfect, and I think of it now in dealing with Fenno's passing.

Does anyone know of a recording of Fern Hill? For several years, I have asked Sean and others in the YGC office, and no one has been able to locate one. It would mean a lot to me - I would be happy to pay the cost of making a copy.

Deepest sympathies to the Heath family, and to the entire YGC family.

Marty Rosenbaum
'82 Law

1 comment:

  1. Marty,

    I just uploaded an MP3 of "Fern Hill" (http://download.yousendit.com/Q01IeEVkR0Y3bUIzZUE9PQ).

    Daniel Winik (YGC '07)

    ReplyDelete